[Geany-devel] How about calling the next release 1.0?

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Tue Sep 20 10:07:23 UTC 2011

Hi,

just one very quick and possibly stupid idea. How about getting rid of
the 0 version prefix and calling the next release 1.0? This would be
just numbering change, not some milestone based on features that have
to be implemented (similarly to renumbering linux kernel from 2.6.x to
3.0).

Rationale: the 0.xx versioning scheme makes an impression that Geany
is something very unstable that crashes every five minutes and whose
first release was made a few months back. Instead, Geany is a very
stable and reliable editor with lots of features and several years of
history.

I know there are some 1.0 TODOs here:

http://www.geany.org/Documentation/ToDo

like the ABI stability for plugins and other features. But

1. Will the ABI be ever considered stable? Is it really needed? (All
the plugins I know are open source and the combined plugin project is
kept in sync with the development release so there's no real problem
even if the API changes).

2. I think there's no need to require some specific features for the
1.0 release. The current set of features makes already a very good
editor and extra features can always be introduced in later versions.

I already find Geany more usable for my needs than editors having 2011
as their version number so I believe it deserves the 1 prefix. What is
your opinion?

Cheers,
Jiri