[Geany-devel] ChangeLog for Geany: is that useful, for who and how? (was Re: Geany-Plugins: Please check for ChangeLog-entries on commit)

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Mon Sep 19 15:55:15 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 17:45:04 +0200
Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:

> Le 19/09/2011 08:15, Frank Lanitz a écrit :
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Another episode from topic improving plugins by Frank ;)
> >
> > In last time I saw a lot of changes going in into plugins without
> > having a ChageLog entry set.
> >
> > Its not always useful in every case but its a nice thing for users
> > of trunk and also stable releases to have a middle view between
> > NEWS-file which is in most cases only a very short compilation of
> > changes and the very, very verbose svn/git log view. So I'm bagging
> > you to have in mind updating your ChangeLog and when every updating
> > po-files or something else inside
> > geany-plugins/trunk/geany-plugins/po I make it mandatory ;)
>
> Oh no, I planned to start (again [1]) a discussion about *removing*
> ChangeLog committing :D  (OK, I though about Geany itself, not GP)
>
> I'll start it right now then, if you don't mind.

I'm open to start a discussion about ChangeLog for post svn times as
with correct merging its really not much of a benefit (even there are
some).

BUT: As we are currently on svn and build system for geany-plugins is
expecting a ChangeLog I disagree to do this discussion for 0.21 release
of plugins. So discussion is having no impact onto upcoming release :)

Cheers,
Frank
--
http://frank.uvena.de/en/