[Geany-devel] various prefs warning - changing 'various'

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Sat Sep 17 00:55:13 UTC 2011

On 09/16/2011 08:03 AM, Colomban Wendling wrote:
> Le 16/09/2011 16:40, Matthew Brush a écrit :

>> Right, so if someone takes 5 minutes to rename Various to<Other Thing>
>> today then it will save it from having to be re-translated later, after
>> the release.  It would also be less confusing to the end user to not
>> change the name of this tab/group between this release and the next.  If
>> there ever was a time to rename this, now seems ideal.  I don't think
>> end users will care so much if Geany's source code says various and the
>> UI says "Advanced" or something, but they will probably notice the
>> labels, especially next release when they're called something else.
>>
>> But, like I said, it's not a huge deal, just a little bit of polish.
>
> Although I also agree it's not necessarily the better term, "Advanced"
> was rejected in the original discussion, and I doubt something like
> extra/other/additional warns the user better than "Various".

Even if they don't warn them, at least they don't sound weird.

> However, if we find something great before tomorrow morning (2011-09-17
> UTC) I think it's fine to change it.  We won't change any string if it's
> not strictly necessary until the release after then.

Considering no one besides myself and Lex bothered to take the 2 second
poll I guess no consensus can be reached in time, despite the fact that
the general sentiment seems to be that "Various" is not a good choice.
But if no one else really cares, I'll just shut up :)