[Geany-devel] various prefs warning - changing 'various'

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Sep 16 14:40:54 UTC 2011

On 09/16/2011 07:23 AM, Lex Trotman wrote:
> [...]
>> I would've thought it'd be easy to change the two user-facing labels, like 5
>> minutes easy.  Seems to me now would be the ideal time to change those two
>> labels.  Or, is it possible to do English translations after the string
>> freeze?
>
> The problem is that the decision is needed today (your time, its
> Saturday for me already :).  String freeze means that all English
> strings in the software are frozen whilst translations are made.  This
> is so that the translations match the originals.  So no changes
> allowed between then and release.

Right, so if someone takes 5 minutes to rename Various to <Other Thing>
today then it will save it from having to be re-translated later, after
the release.  It would also be less confusing to the end user to not
change the name of this tab/group between this release and the next.  If
there ever was a time to rename this, now seems ideal.  I don't think
end users will care so much if Geany's source code says various and the
UI says "Advanced" or something, but they will probably notice the
labels, especially next release when they're called something else.

But, like I said, it's not a huge deal, just a little bit of polish.