[Geany-devel] various prefs warning - changing 'various'

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Fri Sep 16 14:08:00 UTC 2011

On 09/16/2011 03:51 AM, Nick Treleaven wrote:
> --- On Fri, 16/9/11, Matthew Brush<mbrush at codebrainz.ca>  wrote:

>> Either way, I still don't think the wording "Various
>> Preferences" should be used.  It's not that it's a big
>> deal or that the wording is incorrect per se, but "Various
>> Preferences" just doesn't sound idiomatic to me (native
>> Canadian/US English speaker).
>
> First, we have a string freeze coming up, so it should probably stay as is for now.
>
> Personally I agree that various is not the most precise term, but I think it's good enough and not worth changing. (Various is used throughout the code also).

I would've thought it'd be easy to change the two user-facing labels,
like 5 minutes easy.  Seems to me now would be the ideal time to change
those two labels.  Or, is it possible to do English translations after
the string freeze?

>> P.S. Is there any way to make the "Various" tab in the
>> preferences dialog stick to the bottom position in the
>> notebook so that when tabs are added later, "Various" is
>> still at the end?
>
> Probably no enforcible way, but it would be a good convention. It could be appended last when creating the prefs dialog, and with a comment.

Isn't the whole dialog created in Glade, except the Terminal tab (for
some reason)?  I guess it would just take adding the Terminal in the
second last position rather than appended on the end if that's the case
(plus a comment as you say).