[Geany-devel] various prefs warning - changing 'various'

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Fri Sep 16 10:51:34 UTC 2011

--- On Fri, 16/9/11, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> > I agree, I like Dimitar's feature. I don't want to
> make it hard to use, just more obvious that the user should
> be careful.
>
> One solution would be to just rename "Various" to
> "Advanced" which implies that these are not your regular
> "basic" settings.  This along with a little blurb in a
> label inside the actual tab page should be sufficient IMO.

I think that solution is too subtle - but I posted an alternative, simpler solution just now.

> Either way, I still don't think the wording "Various
> Preferences" should be used.  It's not that it's a big
> deal or that the wording is incorrect per se, but "Various
> Preferences" just doesn't sound idiomatic to me (native
> Canadian/US English speaker).

First, we have a string freeze coming up, so it should probably stay as is for now.

Personally I agree that various is not the most precise term, but I think it's good enough and not worth changing. (Various is used throughout the code also).

> P.S. Is there any way to make the "Various" tab in the
> preferences dialog stick to the bottom position in the
> notebook so that when tabs are added later, "Various" is
> still at the end?

Probably no enforcible way, but it would be a good convention. It could be appended last when creating the prefs dialog, and with a comment.

Nick