[Geany-devel] [RFC] Geany Plugin Names

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Sun Oct 30 22:07:25 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 29, 2011 at 08:09, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29 October 2011 16:41, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is anybody opposed to removing the "geany" and "Geany" prefix from the
>> plugins in Geany-Plugins.  I mean at least for the directory name in the
>> source tree, README/Site, and PLUGIN_SET_INFO() name?
>>
>> It's always bothered me when I go into *Geany's* plugin manager and see
>> plugin names like "GeanyFooBar".  Obviously the plugin is for Geany and the
>> "Geany" prefix makes the plugin not ordered correctly.  Same goes for the
>> SVN/Git repository source tree directory names.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> Geany-Zencoding plugin could be "Zencoding" under the directory in the repo
>> called "zencoding".
>>
>> This is like many plugins already, for example:
>>
>> addons, codenav, debugger, devhelp, gproject (sorta :), pretty-printer,
>> shiftcolumn, spellcheck, tableconvert, treebrowser, updatechecker,
>> webhelper, and xmlsnippets.
>>
>> IMO these would be reasonable renames for the others:
>>
>> Old Name                Plugin Info Name        Directory
>> ========                ================        =========
>> GeanyDoc                Documentation?[1]       doc or geanydoc
>
> or Search Docs which describes its intended use, although it is much
> more general, and directory searchdocs which doesn't clash with the
> usual meaning of doc
>
>> GeanyExtrasel           Extra Selections        extrasel
>> Geanygdb                GNU Debugger[2]         gdb
>> GeanyGenDoc             Documentation Generator gendoc
>> GeanyInsertNum          Insert Numbers[3]       insertnum
>> GeanyLatex              LaTeX (Addons)          latex
>> GeanyLipsum             Lorem Ipsum Generator   lipsum
>> GeanyLua                Lua Plugins             lua
>> GeanyMacro              Macro Recorder          macro
>> GeanyNumberedBookmarks  Numbered Bookmarks      numberedbookmarks
>> GeanyPg                 Privacy Guard           pg or gpg
>> GeanyPrj                Project Manager?[4]     prj or project
>> GeanySendMail           Send Mail               sendmail
>> GeanyVC                 Version Control         vc or vcs
>> --[coming soon]---------------------------------------------------
>> GeanyMultiTerm          Multi-Tabbed Terminal   multiterm
>> GeanyPy                 Python Plugins          python
>> GeanyZencoding          Zen Coding              zencoding
>> ==================================================================
>> [1] Could we merge Devhelp and GeanyDoc?
>> [2] Could we replace in favour of Debugger?
>> [3] Should this go in Addons?
>
> IIUC addons and insertnum have different maintainers
>
>> [4] Could we merge GProject and GeanyPrj or are totally different?
>
> I bet their developers think so :)
>
> Although in my, probably poorly informed, opinion, gproject seems to
> encompass most of geanyprj

Not completely. The main difference is that gproject is an extension
of Geany's projects. As such, displays just single project's files in
the sidebar and shares the Geany's project settings file for its
settings. geanyprj on the other hand can display multiple project's
files in the sidebar and has separate project settings file for every
project. This is slightly messy because you have two different
projects next to each other. Originally gproject was like this too but
then I decided to sacrifice the multiple project ability and play more
nicely with Geany.

About the project name change - I don't care as long as someone is
able to invent two different names for the project plugins ;-).

Cheers,
Jiri