[Geany-devel] Geany Plugins SVN Commit URLs

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Sun Oct 30 21:55:41 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 10:15, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I haven't heard too much about the Git conversion of Geany Plugins, but I
> wanted to offer a suggestion that might improve the commit messages compared
> to Geany's.  In the Geany's Git repository there's links back to the SVN
> repository in the commit messages (the links are broken BTW).  I was
> wondering if it would be better to have these links point to a place we have
> more control over, for example using a Geany commit, instead of this in the
> commit message:
>
> git-svn-id: https://geany.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/geany/trunk@5970
> ea778897-0a13-0410-b9d1-a72fbfd435f5
>
> We could have something like this:
>
> git-svn-id:
> [ea778897-0a13-0410-b9d1-a72fbfd435f5](http://svn.geany.org/svnroot/geany/trunk?rev=5970)
>
> That way we could make the links work and be able to move the old SVN
> repository without breaking all the links in the commit message. I guess
> we'd need a little redirect script or something on geany.org.  Note also the
> use of Markdown link syntax, which might render better on Github (not sure).
>
> I guess it's too late to do this for Geany's Git repository, but we could
> maybe consider something like this for Geany Plugins if the software can
> support it?
>
> Just an idea.

Well, the only thing I can do with the script is exclude/include the
info about the original commit with --metadata switch. But of course
if I make the import from the repository at svn.geany.org, the links
will be changed to svn.geany.org. If you need some more advanced
formatting, you'd have to change svn2git scripts manually. Feel free
to send me the modifications of svn2git ;-).

Cheers,
Jiri