[Geany-devel] [RFC] Geany Plugin Names

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Sat Oct 29 06:09:23 UTC 2011

On 29 October 2011 16:41, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is anybody opposed to removing the "geany" and "Geany" prefix from the
> plugins in Geany-Plugins.  I mean at least for the directory name in the
> source tree, README/Site, and PLUGIN_SET_INFO() name?
>
> It's always bothered me when I go into *Geany's* plugin manager and see
> plugin names like "GeanyFooBar".  Obviously the plugin is for Geany and the
> "Geany" prefix makes the plugin not ordered correctly.  Same goes for the
> SVN/Git repository source tree directory names.
>
> For example:
>
> Geany-Zencoding plugin could be "Zencoding" under the directory in the repo
> called "zencoding".
>
> This is like many plugins already, for example:
>
> addons, codenav, debugger, devhelp, gproject (sorta :), pretty-printer,
> shiftcolumn, spellcheck, tableconvert, treebrowser, updatechecker,
> webhelper, and xmlsnippets.
>
> IMO these would be reasonable renames for the others:
>
> Old Name                Plugin Info Name        Directory
> ========                ================        =========
> GeanyDoc                Documentation?[1]       doc or geanydoc

or Search Docs which describes its intended use, although it is much
more general, and directory searchdocs which doesn't clash with the
usual meaning of doc

> GeanyExtrasel           Extra Selections        extrasel
> Geanygdb                GNU Debugger[2]         gdb
> GeanyGenDoc             Documentation Generator gendoc
> GeanyInsertNum          Insert Numbers[3]       insertnum
> GeanyLatex              LaTeX (Addons)          latex
> GeanyLipsum             Lorem Ipsum Generator   lipsum
> GeanyLua                Lua Plugins             lua
> GeanyMacro              Macro Recorder          macro
> GeanyNumberedBookmarks  Numbered Bookmarks      numberedbookmarks
> GeanyPg                 Privacy Guard           pg or gpg
> GeanyPrj                Project Manager?[4]     prj or project
> GeanySendMail           Send Mail               sendmail
> GeanyVC                 Version Control         vc or vcs
> --[coming soon]---------------------------------------------------
> GeanyMultiTerm          Multi-Tabbed Terminal   multiterm
> GeanyPy                 Python Plugins          python
> GeanyZencoding          Zen Coding              zencoding
> [1] Could we merge Devhelp and GeanyDoc?
> [2] Could we replace in favour of Debugger?
> [3] Should this go in Addons?

IIUC addons and insertnum have different maintainers

> [4] Could we merge GProject and GeanyPrj or are totally different?

I bet their developers think so :)

Although in my, probably poorly informed, opinion, gproject seems to
encompass most of geanyprj

> Anyway, just a thought to make things more consistent and less redundant.
>  It seems like while converting and moving to Git would be an ideal time to
> do this.  Feel free to +1, -1, comment or ignore.

+1, as some smarty said on IRC, do you think someones going to confuse
them with Emacs plugins if they don't start with Geanty