[Geany-devel] Future of GeanyGDB - [was: Geany Plugins Warnings (again)]

Dominic Hopf dmaphy at xxxxx
Fri Oct 28 23:27:45 UTC 2011

Am Freitag, den 28.10.2011, 16:02 -0700 schrieb Matthew Brush:
> The only plugin with non-trivial (by way of quantity) warnings to fix
> was GeanyGDB.  I don't know if this is maintained any more or if it's
> needed with having the Debugger plugin, but if it is, the author(s)
> should go through and fix all their `const` usage themselves.  The
> attached patch for GeanyGDB only fixes a few usages but exposes much
> more warnings, so it might be of little use.

The original author of this plugin was Jeff Pohlmeyer, I'm afraid he
will not read this, though. I took over the "maintainership" long time
ago, approx. at the beginning of 2010 (or maybe earlier) to not have an
unmaintained plugin within the Geany-Plugins project.

Seems I was out of my estimation regarding what it means to maintain
such an amount of C code written by someone else - having in mind that
I'm not that skilled in C (I'd call myself rather a beginner in writing
C). I actually didn't wrote C since a few month now and also do not use
GeanyGDB at present.

I appreciate any efforts and patches which may improve GeanyGDB and
would apply any contributed stuff for that plugin, but I'd like to
discuss some questions (IIRC some may also were earlier discussed
before):

1)

There are guys out there who write C code and may use debugging plugins
from within Geany. There are at least two alternative plugins which
would do the job. I'd love to know your honest opinion which one you
actually prefer.

2)

Wasn't it discussed before that we maybe remove GeanyGDB after the 0.21
release? - I'm not sure about this and to lazy to investigate for the
mails. :)

3)

Is there anyone out there who alternatively would like to maintain and
improve GeanyGDB (and is more skilled in C than me :) ).

4)

I of course appreciate Matthews patch and like to apply it, but that
most likely should wait at least until we moved to GitHub with
Geany-Plugins, should it?

Regards,
Dominic

--
Dominic Hopf <dmaphy at googlemail.com>
http://dominichopf.de/

Key Fingerprint: A7DF C4FC 07AE 4DDC 5CA0 BD93 AAB0 6019 CA7D 868D