[Geany-devel] Geany icon on Mint

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Oct 26 23:20:43 UTC 2011

On 11-10-26 11:59 AM, Enrico Tröger wrote:

> I can't stand distros replacing application icons. No matter of people
> like the current icon or not, it is Geany's icon, meant to help
> identifying the application in the menu or whereever else the icon is
> used, same for the website.
> And in general, it's a specific application icon which are not to be
> replaced, it's not that it is a generic icon like 'file-manager' or
> 'open file'.

+1

IMO, it's fine to change the "style" of an icon to make it fit in with
the rest of the theme, but not to completely replace the icon.  I mean
if it was still a yellow genie bottle with the red things and smoke, but
was glossier or shaded different or something, that's fine, and most
icon themes do this.  But to completely change the icon and replace it
with a whole other icon, and then add non-translatable text so most
users can't read it is just wrong.  Even in Arabic, if it does spell
"genie", it's still wrong (well, technically "geany" is wrong, but you
know what I mean :).

I don't understand why the designer couldn't have used the blue
background with the recognizable genie bottle ontop, or done just like
was done with the firefox, thunderbird, chrome, etc. icons.  Probably
those companies would've legally made him/her remove the icons since
AFAIK their icons are covered under a different license than their
source code.

> I think we should contact the package maintainer to remove this custom
> icon and use Geany's icon instead. I'll do this probably next week
> unless someone else beats me.

The theme is called Faenza.  I guess we can't really do anything more
than to file a bug report or ask the designer to change it, since
there's nothing illegal or anything with doing this, it's just stupid.
Also, what license is Geany's icon covered under?  I guess GPL by
default since no other license is specified?

Here's some backup support[1][2][3][4] for your argument BTW to help
persuade the designer and/or packager :)

[1] http://identi.ca/egon0/tag/faenza
[2] http://comments.deviantart.com/1/173323228/1705068006
[3]
http://opendesktop.org/content/show.php?content=141003&forumpage=1&PHPSESSID=2a00260033749adc9a79621a59c8eb6b