[Geany-devel] Geany icon on Mint

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Oct 26 23:20:26 UTC 2011

2011/10/27 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
> On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 09:43:33 +0200, Liviu wrote:
>
>>On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:47 AM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> My hard drive failed yesterday morning, so after installing a new one
>>> I decided to update the OS and installed the latest Linux Mint.
>>>
>>> Imagine my surprise when the Geany icon wasn't the familiar teapot,
>>> but https://github.com/elextr/geany_stuff/raw/master/geany.svg.
>>>
>>> I initially blamed Ubuntu since Geany was installed from its
>>> repository, sorry, but in fact Mint is overriding it with a theme.
>>>
>>> This looks like Arabic script to me, so Frank, can any of your
>>> translators tell us what it says?
>>>
>>Well, Geany makes allusion to a 'genie' or 'jinn' [1], which is most
>>known from the (Arabic, I assume) tale of Aladdin [2]. If you click on
>>the 'Arabic' article in [1] you will be directed to 'جيني', which, to
>>the best of my understanding of Arabic script (which is null), uses
>>the same spelling as in the *.svg file [3]. So I would go with 'جيني'
>>meaning Geany, in Arabic script. It would be cool to have this on the
>>the main page of geany.org!
>
> I hope this was meant ironic.
> I can't stand distros replacing application icons. No matter of people
> like the current icon or not, it is Geany's icon, meant to help
> identifying the application in the menu or whereever else the icon is
> used, same for the website.
> And in general, it's a specific application icon which are not to be
> replaced, it's not that it is a generic icon like 'file-manager' or
> 'open file'.
>
> I think we should contact the package maintainer to remove this custom
> icon and use Geany's icon instead. I'll do this probably next week
> unless someone else beats me.
>
> Regards,
> Enrico

I've gotta agree with Enrico, icons are meant to identify with the
application/action they perform, something that happens over time, so
they should not be changed arbitrarily by anyone.  I can understand a
theme changing the colours of an icon if it clashes badly, but not the
basic image.

And icons are just that, they should not contain text in *any*
language since that restricts the identification of the icon with the
use of the icon to those who read that language.

So everyone should complain :)