[Geany-devel] Geany icon on Mint

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Wed Oct 26 18:59:49 UTC 2011

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 09:43:33 +0200, Liviu wrote:

>On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 1:47 AM, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My hard drive failed yesterday morning, so after installing a new one
>> I decided to update the OS and installed the latest Linux Mint.
>>
>> Imagine my surprise when the Geany icon wasn't the familiar teapot,
>> but https://github.com/elextr/geany_stuff/raw/master/geany.svg.
>>
>> I initially blamed Ubuntu since Geany was installed from its
>> repository, sorry, but in fact Mint is overriding it with a theme.
>>
>> This looks like Arabic script to me, so Frank, can any of your
>> translators tell us what it says?
>>
>Well, Geany makes allusion to a 'genie' or 'jinn' [1], which is most
>known from the (Arabic, I assume) tale of Aladdin [2]. If you click on
>the 'Arabic' article in [1] you will be directed to 'جيني', which, to
>the best of my understanding of Arabic script (which is null), uses
>the same spelling as in the *.svg file [3]. So I would go with 'جيني'
>meaning Geany, in Arabic script. It would be cool to have this on the
>the main page of geany.org!

I hope this was meant ironic.
I can't stand distros replacing application icons. No matter of people
like the current icon or not, it is Geany's icon, meant to help
identifying the application in the menu or whereever else the icon is
used, same for the website.
And in general, it's a specific application icon which are not to be
replaced, it's not that it is a generic icon like 'file-manager' or
'open file'.

I think we should contact the package maintainer to remove this custom
icon and use Geany's icon instead. I'll do this probably next week
unless someone else beats me.