[Geany-devel] GIT commit mails format

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Mon Oct 24 23:23:11 UTC 2011

On 10/24/2011 02:45 PM, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Oct 2011 20:03:09 +0200, Colomban wrote:
>
>> Le 18/10/2011 19:52, Enrico Tröger a écrit :
>>> Hey guys,
>>>

>>> right now, we use the stock email commit hook from Github and let it
>>> send commit mails to the geany-commits mailing list.
>>>
>>> However, compared to the old Subversion commit mails, they are quite
>>> different:
>>>
>>> First, they are not really commit mails but rather "push" mails, that
>>> is all commits which are transmitted within one push are combined
>>> into one mail instead of one mail per commit as it was previously.
>>>
>>> Secondly, the commit mails only include the commit message and a link
>>> to the commit diff at Github. I personally would prefer to have the
>>> diff included (also as before).
>>>

>>> So, I'm tempted to use something else for sending out commit mails.
>>>
>>> For example, the Xfce guys have a simple Shell script to do the job
>>> and it does it as I would wish:
>>> http://git.xfce.org/admin/xfce-git-hooks/tree/hooks/update-03-send-commit-mails
>>>
>>> An example mail:
>>> http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4-commits/2011-October/023580.html
>>>

>>> What do you think?
>>
>> Nothing but a big "+1" ;)
>
> Nobody else with an opinion?
>
> (-1 is allowed is as well as answer though not preferred...:D)

0

I have mixed feelings about this.  After the 800 commit mails in a short
period of time on the xfce-commits list the other day, I think the
"combined" commit mails like we have now are nice.  I'm also not sure
it's worth the bandwidth of sending massive diffs for things like
rebuilding documentation or other really huge ones.  I guess for some
people bandwidth is super cheap and others not so much.  I do like
having the diffs in the mails normally, but I also don't much mind
clicking a hyperlink to see a well coloured and laid out diff.

If we go back to individual commit mails with diffs, is there anyway to
limit how many individual messages get sent out at once and how many
lines can be in a diff?  Ex. if we merge the gtkbuilder branch at some
point, is there anyway to prevent from flooding the list with all those
commit mails but to send individual ones for regular 2 or 3 commits in a
row?

But really, I don't care too much either way :)