[Geany-devel] GIT commit mails format

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Tue Oct 18 17:52:01 UTC 2011

Hey guys,

right now, we use the stock email commit hook from Github and let it
send commit mails to the geany-commits mailing list.

However, compared to the old Subversion commit mails, they are quite
different:

First, they are not really commit mails but rather "push" mails, that
is all commits which are transmitted within one push are combined into
one mail instead of one mail per commit as it was previously.

Secondly, the commit mails only include the commit message and a link
to the commit diff at Github. I personally would prefer to have the
diff included (also as before).

So, I'm tempted to use something else for sending out commit mails.

For example, the Xfce guys have a simple Shell script to do the job and
it does it as I would wish:
http://git.xfce.org/admin/xfce-git-hooks/tree/hooks/update-03-send-commit-mails

An example mail:
http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4-commits/2011-October/023580.html