[Geany-devel] GTK+ Version Bump to 2.18

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Oct 12 23:55:23 UTC 2011

On 11-10-12 07:04 AM, Nick Treleaven wrote:
> On 12/10/2011 02:58, Matthew Brush wrote:
>>
>> I've also been working on getting rid of some of the uses of sealed
>> members (ex. widget->window as opposed to
>> gtk_widget_get_window(widget)). It seems many of the accessor functions
>> were added between 2.12 and 2.18. One of the functions that comes to
>> mind that needs 2.18 and could be used in several places in Geany is
>> gtk_widget_get_allocation().
>
> OTOH, those functions are trivial to support on < 2.18, if there were a
> reason to prefer lower versions. If there's not too many.

There's lots :)  [1]

>> So I was wondering if anyone was opposed to going from GTK+ 2.12 to 2.18
>> as the minimum supported GTK+ version. IMO, if we are going to raise the
>> version this release cycle, it makes sense to do so sooner rather than
>> later to maximize the time for finding and fixing bugs and so on.
>
>  From my own POV I would prefer lower versions for now - I have 2.16 on
> my main machine. I could update but I'm still reeling a little from the
> github switch ;-)

So the answer to my question in the other thread about what specifically
sets the minimum GTK+ version Geany supports is:  Whatever Nick is
running :)

> So I would go for 2.16 overall if this brings us Glade 3 support.

It should, but I haven't thoroughly tested it with GTK+ 2.16 yet.  Did
you try the gtkbuilder branch yet on your 2.16 install by any chance?

Anyway, I won't push for GTK+ 2.18 any more if some core Geany devs are
against it.

[1]
https://github.com/codebrainz/geany/commit/06e27060fd5022d22160d51ca62c3601f649f28f