[Geany-devel] GTK+ Version Bump to 2.18

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Oct 12 01:58:40 UTC 2011

Hi all,

According to the recent discussions on the mailing list, its sounds like
we could safely require GTK+ >= 2.18 and still support a lot of
enterprise/LTS/legacy distros.

You might've noticed I pushed my gtkbuilder branch into geany/geany.  To
use this requires GTK+ 2.16 since it seems this is where lots of the
GtkWidgets that Geany uses started to implement the GtkBuildable
interface.  This is at least according to what I read and the complaints
from Glade 3.

I've also been working on getting rid of some of the uses of sealed
members (ex. widget->window as opposed to
gtk_widget_get_window(widget)).  It seems many of the accessor functions
were added between 2.12 and 2.18.  One of the functions that comes to
mind that needs 2.18 and could be used in several places in Geany is
gtk_widget_get_allocation().

So I was wondering if anyone was opposed to going from GTK+ 2.12 to 2.18
as the minimum supported GTK+ version.  IMO, if we are going to raise
the version this release cycle, it makes sense to do so sooner rather
than later to maximize the time for finding and fixing bugs and so on.

As a side topic; is there any way we can automate parts of changing the
GTK+/GLib version numbers in all the various affected files?  I was
thinking maybe a small Python/Perl script or Autoconf substitution or
something like this.  It's just an idea that came to mind, it might be
stupid/pointless.

@Enrico: How much trouble does this cause for the win32 builds?  Is it
just changing the Waf/makefile.win32 files and then packaging a newer
GTK+ binary pack next release?