[Geany-devel] Git conversion completed

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Sun Oct 9 18:15:27 UTC 2011

Le 09/10/2011 19:03, Jiří Techet a écrit :
> On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 17:59, Colomban Wendling
> <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
>> Le 09/10/2011 16:49, Jiří Techet a écrit :

>>> OK, I've re-uploaded the repositories to the same locations. I've
>>> fixed the incorrect merge issue and updated parents for most of the
>>> re-created branches.
>>
>> Yep, looks great, bravo!
>>
>>> The only one I haven't updated is the "Create branch for configurable
>>> build menu development", now commit 80d2802. There's something strange
>>> - it appears the branch existed before but it was never merged into
>>> trunk. Instead it was probably deleted and re-created again. If I
>>> updated the parent to be the trunk only, we'd lose the history of this
>>> branch because we couldn't get to the previous commits in any way. So
>>> I think it's better to keep it the way it is.
>>
>> OK, makes sense, even though the old build-system branch was dropped
>> because it was "corrupted" (according to r3939: "Removing corrupted
>> branch").
>
> Ah, OK, I've overlooked this. If you want to make some more changes,
> create a file called "grafts" inside .git/info. Each line of this file
> has format
>
> parent child1 child2 child3... (using commit SHAs depending on number
> of children)

Isn't it rather child parent1 parent2...?  Looks like it does a better
job, if I understand the result correctly ^^  anyway, thanks for the tips :)

Anyway I chosen to keep the previous branch as you did it so there is
some more history, yet it is strange.

BTW, pushed to https://github.com/geany/geany :) -- this is not yet a
wide announcement because there is a few thing to tune, update & qtuff,
but it's up and running.

> When you're finished with your modifications, run
>
> git filter-branch --tag-name-filter cat -- --all
>
> to write it permanently into the repository. Remove the grafts file afterwards.
>

>> I also checked the repository against my own git-svn clone as you
>> suggested, and all about 60 checkpoints in the history I checked did
>> match, so I'm happy to see you didn't corrupt the sources ;)
>
> And the remaining 5000 commits in between contain code which will
> erase your hard drive completely ;-).

Yep, and you're a so great mind-reader you you knew very well which
commits I would check :p

Cheers,
Colomban