[Geany-devel] Git switch (for real)

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Wed Oct 5 23:23:11 UTC 2011

Le 03/10/2011 23:02, Enrico Tröger a écrit :
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 17:28:14 +0200, Colomban wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Now the release is out, it's time for the real migration.  There's
>> things to do then, and perhaps a few we still need to agree on.
>
> Yay, yay, yay.
>

>> @all:  We will switch to Git, and we need to choose basically between
>> GitHub and Gitorious.
>> I'd vote for trying GitHub, just because it has one thing I quite liked
>> and that Gitorious don't seem to have: comments on a particular
>
> While I usually plead for free software I'd also vote for Github in
> this regard. In the last weeks I started to use it for smaller personal
> stuff just to get it hosted somewhere, easily. And it worked.
> Github is just damn easy, fast and intuitive. While I have not much
> experience with Gitorious, it feels more like the opposite. Though this
> is just my personal opinion.

Well then, let's try GitHub.  I also prefer FOSS everywhere, but GitHub
seems to be at least working fine, stable & stuff.  And as we don't stop
to say, we can anyway switch to another host if it feels too bad at some
point.  Of course keeping the same hosting is easier for people tracking
the repo, but it's not really hard to change the remote either if there
is a good reason to do so.

>> Finally, we'll need to "all" (at least committers -- Nick, Enrico,
>> Frank and I --, Enrico and I) work a bit together to do the switch:
>>
>> * committers needs to stop committing to SVN when export to Git starts
>> * somebody (Jiří?) needs to export the SVN repo
>> * somebody (me I think) need to setup an "upstream" repo on
>> GitHub/Gitorious
>> * we'll have to update everything that assume we commit to SF's SVN
>> (some mirroring, commit ML, etc). Enrico, I guess we'll need you at
>
> Well, the GIT mirror at git.geany.org gets rather useless when Geany's
> source itself is maintained in GIT, if we want, we can keep it up
> running for backup or whatever purposes. I assume it's no problem to
> change the repository to pull from a real GIT repo instead of SVN.

I'd like to see it still up as a mirror if you don't mind (heh, it's
your server after all).  This would also make us have a "stable" hosting
since we could change it's origin if it actually moves.

> The commit mails may be more complicated, at least on Github there
> seems nothing ready-to-use AFAIK. They have the HTTP-Push hook which
> seems quite appropriate. We just need a script to receive that push and
> make it into a mail. However, I'm optimistic there is somewhere a
> usable implementation out there on the net.

Matthew seems to suggest it may be easy, let's hope so :D  Maybe I/you
could try with another project just to see if this work, not to rush the
final day ^^

> I'd also need to adjust the nightly builds and some update scripts on
> geany.org but this is less important and can be done asynchronously,
> read later. The only critical to me are the commit mails.

Great then, makes the plan looking even more reasonable :)

>> So, we'll need to work together soon, and that'll need us to coordinate
>> ourselves.  So Jiří (if you accept re-exporting), Enrico, Nick and
>> Frank: when can we do the actual switch?  I can have the time whenever
>> I want this week, I just need to know ;)
>
> I'm also for as soon as possible, upcoming weekend would be fine for me,
> ideally on Sunday.

OK, let's say Sunday then since it seems to fit :)

Cheers
Colomban