[Geany-devel] Question about GTK+ version used

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Oct 5 07:30:54 UTC 2011

Hi Alex,

There is no problem (that I'm aware of) with any versions on Linux,
except of course new features were added over time.  Since everyone
wants to use the shiny new things, they want a newer version.

Also as newer features replaced older ones, some of the tools (glade)
discontinued support for the older features making it hard to continue
to use older versions.

But on windows, as I understand it, GTK 2.16 is ok, but something(s)
that was changed in 2.18 and broke stuff on windows, I'm not sure
exactly what.

There are not many contributors to GTK for windows so it took a long
time for the problems to be fixed (assuming they are) so it isn't
until about 2.24 that the general consensus on the gtk ML seemed to be
that it was ok.

And of course GTK3 is a new non-backward compatible version that is "a
whole 'nother ball game"