[Geany-devel] Question about GTK+ version used

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Wed Oct 5 07:25:11 UTC 2011

On 11-10-05 12:15 AM, Alexander Eberspächer wrote:
> On 10/04/2011 07:12 PM, Matthew Brush wrote:
>
>> Yeah, 2.18 seems to be about right all things considered.
>
> Can someone explain (in one or two sentences) why GTK versions around
> 2.18 or so are much worse than more recent ones? I haven't really done
> anything using GTK yet, however, I am interested.

Hi,

I don't know, in general, if the older libraries are "worse"[1], but
there have been discussions recently around some things that require
functionality in more recent versions (ex. GtkBuilder will need 2.16,
lots of accessor functions were added between 2.12 and 2.18 which will
make eventually supporting Gtk3 easier, some new widgets become
available in later versions and so on).

[1] but I would assume that 4+ years of active development would have
brought lots of bug fixes and optimizations.