[Geany-devel] Question about GTK+ version used

Alexander Eberspächer alex.eberspaecher at xxxxx
Tue Oct 4 12:36:12 UTC 2011

On 1 October 2011 13:44, Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> It seems to me like this group of users would be very small and require that
> they are:
>  - Enterprise/LTS users running a GUI
>  - And who are willing to install unsupported software.

That may be the case more often than one might thinnk it is... Think
of all the people who have neither a choice in OS nor root access to
their machine. I work at a university, where this is commonly the
case.

>  - And whos distro doesn't backport newer libraries.
>  - And who are developers, can compile Geany but can't compile GTK+.

Compiling Geany is easy, compiling GTK is another order of magnitude.
I might be able to compile GTK, but I certainly do not want to. I
think I tried once, escaped dependency hell without injuries but then
decided that two GTK installation one one machine suck.

>  - And who are not satisfied with existing supported Geany packages.

Again, as a user on say RHEL, you might not even have a precompiled
Geany package available.

> I would just be curious to know how many (or what percentage of) users fall
> into this group.

I do, unfortunately.

So, in conclusion: I think GTK 2.18 (RHEL 6) seems reasonable.

Cheers

Alex