[Geany-devel] Plan ahead (to fail to plan is to plan to fail)

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Tue Oct 4 00:06:43 UTC 2011

[...]
> Yep -- though I think I'm missing something ti your sentence... I don't
> get the meaning of "and possible changes to process that forces/enables"

Apologies for the inelegant language. You said it yourself below :), I
meant things like using branches and committing to develop not master
etc.

[...]
> Seems reasonable as future plans, not sure all would fit in a single
> release... well, we'll see how fast things goes anyway :)

Sure see how we go, but on Geany's usual release cycle it would be
long time to wait if they don't fit this cycle.

>> 8. call it 1.0
>
> Or 1.22, it's what is in SVN now.

Ok.  Anything to avoid another doodle please :)

[...]>
> Agreed with the strong branching scheme,
> http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/ feels good to me.

Agree.

>> And then other disruptive things can then be done in repository forks
>> so they don't get too much in each others way.
>
> And/or feature-branches ;)

For big changes I'd say start with a fork where the dev and friends
can mess around to their hearts content until it seems to work, then
make a feature branch as it moves towards usability and you want more
people to test and QA it and have it a bit more community controlled
and then merge with develop as it is accepted.

Small changes/bugfixes make in a fork until it works and send Colomban
a pull request to put it in develop or send him patches.