[Geany-devel] Git switch (for real)

Quentin Glidic sardemff7+geany at xxxxx
Mon Oct 3 21:18:02 UTC 2011

Hello guys, I’m new here and I use Geany for a year now, pretty sure
even more in facts.

I love Git a lot, here is my personal view so.

On 03/10/2011 23:02, Enrico Tröger wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 17:28:14 +0200, Colomban wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Now the release is out, it's time for the real migration.  There's
>> things to do then, and perhaps a few we still need to agree on.
>
> Yay, yay, yay.
>

>> @all:  We will switch to Git, and we need to choose basically between
>> GitHub and Gitorious.
>> I'd vote for trying GitHub, just because it has one thing I quite liked
>> and that Gitorious don't seem to have: comments on a particular
>
> While I usually plead for free software I'd also vote for Github in
> this regard. In the last weeks I started to use it for smaller personal
> stuff just to get it hosted somewhere, easily. And it worked.
> Github is just damn easy, fast and intuitive. While I have not much
> experience with Gitorious, it feels more like the opposite. Though this
> is just my personal opinion.

I like Github the best. It’s shiny, powerful, up-to-date, and in active
development. I didn’t use Gitorious that much, but the few times I had
to deal with, I didn’t like it. I can’t remind me why right now, should
test again.

>> Finally, we'll need to "all" (at least committers -- Nick, Enrico,
>> Frank and I --, Enrico and I) work a bit together to do the switch:
>>
>> * committers needs to stop committing to SVN when export to Git starts
>> * somebody (Jiří?) needs to export the SVN repo
>> * somebody (me I think) need to setup an "upstream" repo on
>> GitHub/Gitorious
>> * we'll have to update everything that assume we commit to SF's SVN
>> (some mirroring, commit ML, etc). Enrico, I guess we'll need you at
>
> Well, the GIT mirror at git.geany.org gets rather useless when Geany's
> source itself is maintained in GIT, if we want, we can keep it up
> running for backup or whatever purposes. I assume it's no problem to
> change the repository to pull from a real GIT repo instead of SVN.
>
> The commit mails may be more complicated, at least on Github there
> seems nothing ready-to-use AFAIK. They have the HTTP-Push hook which
> seems quite appropriate. We just need a script to receive that push and
> make it into a mail. However, I'm optimistic there is somewhere a
> usable implementation out there on the net.

Github have many service hooks, some existing may be the good one.
If not, I think it would be easy to add some hook and get it integrated
in Github.

> I'd also need to adjust the nightly builds and some update scripts on
> geany.org but this is less important and can be done asynchronously,
> read later. The only critical to me are the commit mails.
>

>> So, we'll need to work together soon, and that'll need us to coordinate
>> ourselves.  So Jiří (if you accept re-exporting), Enrico, Nick and
>> Frank: when can we do the actual switch?  I can have the time whenever
>> I want this week, I just need to know ;)
>
> I'm also for as soon as possible, upcoming weekend would be fine for me,
> ideally on Sunday.
>
> Regards,
> Enrico

I’d love hacking Geany using Git, keep going!

Quentin "Sardem FF7" Glidic