[Geany-devel] Git switch (for real) (was: Re: geany on github; why not?)

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Mon Oct 3 21:02:44 UTC 2011

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 17:28:14 +0200, Colomban wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>Now the release is out, it's time for the real migration.  There's
>things to do then, and perhaps a few we still need to agree on.

Yay, yay, yay.

>@all:  We will switch to Git, and we need to choose basically between
>GitHub and Gitorious.
>I'd vote for trying GitHub, just because it has one thing I quite liked
>and that Gitorious don't seem to have: comments on a particular

While I usually plead for free software I'd also vote for Github in
this regard. In the last weeks I started to use it for smaller personal
stuff just to get it hosted somewhere, easily. And it worked.
Github is just damn easy, fast and intuitive. While I have not much
experience with Gitorious, it feels more like the opposite. Though this
is just my personal opinion.

>Finally, we'll need to "all" (at least committers -- Nick, Enrico,
>Frank and I --, Enrico and I) work a bit together to do the switch:
>
> * committers needs to stop committing to SVN when export to Git starts
> * somebody (Jiří?) needs to export the SVN repo
> * somebody (me I think) need to setup an "upstream" repo on
>GitHub/Gitorious
> * we'll have to update everything that assume we commit to SF's SVN
>(some mirroring, commit ML, etc). Enrico, I guess we'll need you at

Well, the GIT mirror at git.geany.org gets rather useless when Geany's
source itself is maintained in GIT, if we want, we can keep it up
running for backup or whatever purposes. I assume it's no problem to
change the repository to pull from a real GIT repo instead of SVN.

The commit mails may be more complicated, at least on Github there
seems nothing ready-to-use AFAIK. They have the HTTP-Push hook which
seems quite appropriate. We just need a script to receive that push and
make it into a mail. However, I'm optimistic there is somewhere a
usable implementation out there on the net.

I'd also need to adjust the nightly builds and some update scripts on
geany.org but this is less important and can be done asynchronously,
read later. The only critical to me are the commit mails.

>So, we'll need to work together soon, and that'll need us to coordinate
>ourselves.  So Jiří (if you accept re-exporting), Enrico, Nick and
>Frank: when can we do the actual switch?  I can have the time whenever
>I want this week, I just need to know ;)

I'm also for as soon as possible, upcoming weekend would be fine for me,
ideally on Sunday.