[Geany-devel] Git switch (for real) (was: Re: geany on github; why not?)

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Mon Oct 3 20:22:26 UTC 2011

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 22:18:46 +0200
Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 20:21, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 18:59:49 +0200
> > Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Sure, no problem. Just one thing I'd like to mention - I may be a
> >> security problem. During the export I can modify any commit (e.g.
> >> to send me the contents of the editor by email) and you probably
> >> won't notice. On the other hand, the good thing is that:
> >>
> >> 1. I don't feel it's something I'd like to do (but you cannot be
> >> sure I'm telling you the truth)
> >
> > Well. We can verify the hash of source code after transition with
> > the hash we do have signed on server or e.g. in our personal git
> > repos.
>
> No, I don't think you can - if you modify a commit in the past (and
> this will happen because older commits have to be added), the
> checksums of present commits change too. I don't know how exactly git
> computes the checksums but it takes history into account too so nobody
> can insert malicious commit without being noticed. This is also why
> it's important to get the conversion right because later changes are
> very problematic (all peoples personal clones become invalid).

I didn't mean the git hash of commit or tree, but comparing the hash of
the tar of the working copies of current svn head and git head after.

Cheers,
Frank
--
http://frank.uvena.de/en/