[Geany-devel] Plan ahead (to fail to plan is to plan to fail)

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Mon Oct 3 17:27:16 UTC 2011

Le 03/10/2011 19:20, Frank Lanitz a écrit :

>>> Yeah, agreed too.  What I like in the blog post's workflow is that
>>> *every* single feature gets its own incubation branch, not only
>>> "big" ones.  This cleans up "master" state, and makes reading the
>>> history easier.
>>
>> Even in the case of single-commit features? I completely agree with
>> more-than-one-commit features because otherwise you don't know where
>> the feature implementation starts and ends but having it for minor
>> one-commit features seems like overkill to me.
>
> Its hard to say. I would say if its really, really, really only just
> one commit, there is no need to build up a branch. But if there is a
> chance of a second one ... might be useful. and git checkout -b // git
> push origin :<branch> is a fast thing

Agreed, not much to add.  And the push isn't even necessary (or
recommended for small ones?), one can create a release branch and only
push post-merge.

>> I'm not against this idea completely, I just don't feel Geany needs
>> it. If you branch before release it adds some overhead because many
>> commits will go both to the release branch and to master. Anyway, new
>> release is far away so there's plenty of time to decide what's best
>> for Geany meanwhile.
>
> ;)
> I agree.

True, and agreed too, it's not necessarily important to decide yet --
and if we don't, we're most likely to not have a pre-release release
branch ^^

Cheers,
Colomban