[Geany-devel] Plan ahead (to fail to plan is to plan to fail)

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Mon Oct 3 17:00:08 UTC 2011

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 18:20:35 +0200
Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. The split between master and develop is completely unnecessary. I
> don't see a reason why there should be a separate branch for releases
> (i.e. commits with tags). The post says that a merge to master is a
> release by definition. I prefer to do things the way everyone else
> does them - a commit with a tag is a release by definition. Moreover,
> everyone expects master is the trunk so I can imagine people will be
> really confused when they clone a repository and build Geany from
> sources because master in the above model is a dead space between
> releases.

Here I need to disagree. I think its a good idea to have a separate
releases branch. Its not a big effort to maintain it and will allow
users to build releases direct from git more easily.

> 3. I wouldn't make release branches before the actual release - I
> think having releases directly on master is just fine. This means some
> slowdown in development but individual developers will have their
> feature branches where they can continue working and which will be
> merged to master after the release anyway. Geany isn't a project with
> such a wild development it should cause any trouble. Maintenance
> branch for a dot release can be created immediately after the release
> commit before post-release version increment.

I agree. There is no real need to have release branches always and in
every cases. They can be created on demand from every parent.

> 4. Hotfix branches: if a fix is a single commit, it can be directly
> applied to master and cherry-picked to maintenance branch. If the fix
> is more of a feature-branch nature, the feature branch for the fix can
> be created and once finished, it can be merged both to master and to
> the maintenance branch.

Sounds reasonable.

Cheers,
Frank