[Geany-devel] Git switch (for real) (was: Re: geany on github; why not?)

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Mon Oct 3 16:59:49 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 17:28, Colomban Wendling
<lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now the release is out, it's time for the real migration.  There's
> things to do then, and perhaps a few we still need to agree on.
>

> Le 05/09/2011 23:05, Jiří Techet a écrit :
>> [...]
>>
>> End of the long email finally! I tried to record all what needs to be
>> done so nothing is forgotten once the real migration takes place
>> because some of the stuff took some time to discover.
>
> @Jiří: Would you mind doing the real export since you know have a little
> experience?

Sure, no problem. Just one thing I'd like to mention - I may be a
security problem. During the export I can modify any commit (e.g. to
send me the contents of the editor by email) and you probably won't
notice. On the other hand, the good thing is that:

1. I don't feel it's something I'd like to do (but you cannot be sure
I'm telling you the truth)
2. You can compare the current state of master with your SVN checkout
so you'll see immediately if there's something wrong with the top of
trunk. I might modify  some past commits but these would have lower
impact because everyone either uses the latest trunk or the latest
stable release.

Actually what's much more probable is that I screw up the conversion
somehow ;-).

> @all:  We will switch to Git, and we need to choose basically between
> GitHub and Gitorious.
> I'd vote for trying GitHub, just because it has one thing I quite liked
> and that Gitorious don't seem to have: comments on a particular commit's
> line.  I did use it a few times with Matthew, and I felt it quite
> convenient to comment details [1]
> Apart that I don't mind, both have the necessary stuff, and Gitorious is
> more "free as in freedom".
>

> Also, I think that we should at least try Vincent Driessen's branching
> model [2] (e.g. develop branch + feature branches + release branches).
> It might looks a bit containing at first glance, but also makes things
> clean -- but note I never tried it in a real project, maybe I'm wrong.
>

> Finally, we'll need to "all" (at least committers -- Nick, Enrico, Frank
> and I --, Enrico and I) work a bit together to do the switch:
>
>  * committers needs to stop committing to SVN when export to Git starts
>  * somebody (Jiří?) needs to export the SVN repo
>  * somebody (me I think) need to setup an "upstream" repo on
> GitHub/Gitorious
>  * we'll have to update everything that assume we commit to SF's SVN
> (some mirroring, commit ML, etc). Enrico, I guess we'll need you at
> least to help here still a bit, sorry ^^
>
> So, we'll need to work together soon, and that'll need us to coordinate
> ourselves.  So Jiří (if you accept re-exporting), Enrico, Nick and
> Frank: when can we do the actual switch?  I can have the time whenever I
> want this week, I just need to know ;)
>

> It would be good if all this could be done as soon as possible so we can
> start development again using this new scheme.  Sooner's better.

About the timing, I'd prefer this weekend. There have been suggestions
like 2011-10-29 but this is my birthday and even though I like Geany,
I want to spend my birthday in a different way than making git
conversions ;-).

Cheers,
Jiri