[Geany-devel] Github vs. Gitorious )was: Re: Git switch (for real) (was: Re: geany on github; why not?)

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Mon Oct 3 16:43:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 17:35, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 17:28:14 +0200
> Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
>
>> @all:  We will switch to Git, and we need to choose basically between
>> GitHub and Gitorious.
>> I'd vote for trying GitHub, just because it has one thing I quite
>> liked and that Gitorious don't seem to have: comments on a particular
>> commit's line.  I did use it a few times with Matthew, and I felt it
>> quite convenient to comment details [1]
>> Apart that I don't mind, both have the necessary stuff, and Gitorious
>> is more "free as in freedom".
>
> I'm not very emotional here. Gitorious really looks a bit more free
> whereas at Github I always have the feeling they want to sell me
> something (ok... somehow the services needs to be paid). On the other
> hand the featureset around an project looks a bit better at github in
> my feeling. So. I don't care much and I do have an account on both :)

While I also agree that Gitorious is more "free", at the same time I
also feel the lack of resources it has. The web pages have minor bugs
like overflowing text in some cases which haven't been fixed for ages.
The fact that GitHub has commercial part also guarantees they get some
funds to maintain the pages, servers, etc. I don't know who's behind
Gitorious but someone has to pay for the servers and if the funding is
gone, Gitorious could end like BerliOS.

For these reasons I'm more inclined towards GitHub. But with git it's
never problem to change the hosting pages anyway.

Cheers,
Jiri