[Geany-devel] Git switch (for real)

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Mon Oct 3 16:29:25 UTC 2011

Le 03/10/2011 17:32, Frank Lanitz a écrit :
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 17:28:14 +0200
> Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
>
>> Frank: when can we do the actual switch?  I can have the time
>> whenever I want this week, I just need to know ;)
>
> I suggest weekend around 2011-10-29. At least at this weekend I've
> nothing planned yet. But IIRC Enrico was on travel at this date.

I feel it a bit too far, but...

However, I think that for normal committers (you, Nick), there's not
much to do:

1) stop committing to SVN during the export;
2) create an account on the new hosting site if not already done;
3) tell the repo owner (me(?)) to grant you commit & stuff rights;
4) start committing using Git on new host.

Apart 1, you can even still commit during the process since Git is a
DVCS, only push would require steps 2 and 3.

I think this is pretty cheap and can probably be done in a couple of
minutes, plus maybe another couple of minutes to read/check the new
committing rules (e.g. push development commit to develop branch rather
than master, etc.).

The big part is the SVN export/import and porting of "commit hooks", not
sure if you have some?

I'm not saying you shouldn't participate (the more qualified volunteers
the better!), just that maybe if you haven't the time we can do by
ourselves ;)

Cheers,
Colomban