[Geany-devel] Github vs. Gitorious )was: Re: Git switch (for real)

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Mon Oct 3 16:20:11 UTC 2011

Le 03/10/2011 17:35, Frank Lanitz a écrit :
> On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 17:28:14 +0200
> Colomban Wendling <lists.ban at herbesfolles.org> wrote:
>
>> @all:  We will switch to Git, and we need to choose basically between
>> GitHub and Gitorious.
>> I'd vote for trying GitHub, just because it has one thing I quite
>> liked and that Gitorious don't seem to have: comments on a particular
>> commit's line.  I did use it a few times with Matthew, and I felt it
>> quite convenient to comment details [1]
>> Apart that I don't mind, both have the necessary stuff, and Gitorious
>> is more "free as in freedom".
>
> I'm not very emotional here. Gitorious really looks a bit more free
> whereas at Github I always have the feeling they want to sell me
> something (ok... somehow the services needs to be paid). On the other
> hand the featureset around an project looks a bit better at github in
> my feeling. So. I don't care much and I do have an account on both :)

I basically feel exactly the same ^^
And the only feature GitHub has that I may find missing on Gitosis is
the line-comments.  Others like tracker, pastes, etc. don't seem to be
particularly useful for us.

So maybe we should go Gitorious to feel good, and do all review using
git-format-patched emails or something :)

Cheers,
Colomban