[Geany-devel] Plan ahead (to fail to plan is to plan to fail)

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Oct 3 10:05:45 UTC 2011

On 3 October 2011 20:34, Frank Lanitz <frank at frank.uvena.de> wrote:
> On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 20:04:28 +1100
> Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> > In general I'm fine with this list as goals (discussing details
>> > would be the wrong place here), but would call it 0.9x with this
>> > changes on next release as changes are to big to become a 1.0
>> > directly (to keep understanding of a 1.0 which have been posted on
>> > this list bevor)
>>
>> Hi Frank, can you point to that?  On the doodle noone voted for 0.9.
>
> The question of doodle was upcoming release which was 0.21 now.

Ok.

I was asking the question above since you appeared to suggest that
there had already been a discussion on how a new version series should
work, but I don't remember it, so I was asking for a reminder.

> I think the changes you listed, which all make sense taking the general
> opinion of mailing list, but they are IMHO to big to put all in one
> release and make it stable within the same one.

Big new changes are actually better to go in a new version series.

I'm guessing from your proposal of 0.9 that you want to follow the GTK
method, odd point releases are unstable and even ones stable.

But I don't think that fits with Geany which has a looooong release
cycle and tests from the repository rather than making test releases,
release candidates etc.  Of course we could release more often but I
don't see the point of doing that just for unstable releases.  If its
unstable we shouldn't release it.

And if we are to release more often then we better ask Colomban since
he has to do the work. :)

I suggest instead we have VCS branches for the stable series and the
unstable one as well as feature branches.  This is part of the process
I was talking about in item 1 of the OP.

So I am suggesting that the next stable release is 1.0 and based on
past performance we won't be releasing it until its stable.

PS as usual the most discussion is on the least important thing on the
list, but thats human :)