[Geany-devel] Plan ahead (to fail to plan is to plan to fail)

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Mon Oct 3 08:10:36 UTC 2011

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 15:15:09 +1100
Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Now we have 0.21 released I thought it was worthwhile looking at the
> path ahead, and since we have the possibility of some quite
> significant changes, maybe starting a plan of attack so that not too
> much effort is wasted.
>
> The big things I see right now that have had some work are:
>
> 1. change to DVCS and hosting, and possible changes to process that
> forces/enables (to my mind the process issues are more important than
> the DVCS itself)
>
> 2. change to Glade 3 (entails GTK change)
>
> 3. support for GTK3 (needs above and might entail a further GTK
> change)
>
> 4. support for plugins in non-C, non-compiled languages (as full
> plugins, and the VM/interpretor as a plugin itself so core doesn't
> need to be changed to add more languages)
>
> 5. session support (has been sitting in a branch for a while)
>
> 6. patches in the queue (some are getting a bit old)
>
> 7. bugfixes
>
> 8. call it 1.0

In general I'm fine with this list as goals (discussing details would
be the wrong place here), but would call it 0.9x with this changes on
next release as changes are to big to become a 1.0 directly (to keep
understanding of a 1.0 which have been posted on this list bevor)

Cheers,
Frank

--
http://frank.uvena.de/en/