[Geany-devel] Plan ahead (to fail to plan is to plan to fail)

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Mon Oct 3 04:15:09 UTC 2011

Hi All,

Now we have 0.21 released I thought it was worthwhile looking at the
path ahead, and since we have the possibility of some quite
significant changes, maybe starting a plan of attack so that not too
much effort is wasted.

The big things I see right now that have had some work are:

1. change to DVCS and hosting, and possible changes to process that
forces/enables (to my mind the process issues are more important than
the DVCS itself)

2. change to Glade 3 (entails GTK change)

3. support for GTK3 (needs above and might entail a further GTK change)

4. support for plugins in non-C, non-compiled languages (as full
plugins, and the VM/interpretor as a plugin itself so core doesn't
need to be changed to add more languages)

5. session support (has been sitting in a branch for a while)

6. patches in the queue (some are getting a bit old)

7. bugfixes

8. call it 1.0

roughly from the most disruptive to least disruptive.

Then there are all the bright new things that will inevitably come up :)

My main suggestion is that it would be best to do the change to the
VCS first, then it won't disrupt the other things.  And get the
process bedded down (stable branch, develop branch, version branches
...) and call that 1.0.

And then other disruptive things can then be done in repository forks
so they don't get too much in each others way.

Beyond that its up to individuals which they work on and when, Geany
is an open source project after all.

So I suggest that we decide DVCS and host (Git, Github?) and follow
the recipe developed in the ML as soon as possible.  And then announce
the change, and the new processes.