[Geany-devel] Question about GTK+ version used

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at xxxxx
Sun Oct 2 11:14:08 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2 Oct 2011 11:39:17 +1100, Lex wrote:

>2011/10/1 Enrico Tröger <enrico.troeger at uvena.de>:
>> On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 01:21:59 -0700, Matthew wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Is there some specific distro or platform that sets the oldest GTK+
>>>version Geany needs to support?  I had a conversation with Enrico on
>>>IRC some time back and he explained that Geany supports older GTK+
>>>versions so that "enterprise" and similar distros which have really
>>>old packages are able to still able to compile/run it.
>>>
>>>So I was just curious *specifically* what distro(s) and version(s)
>>>sets the oldest version of GTK+ that Geany should support?
>>
>> I don't know anything as specific as you probably want to hear,
>> sadly. It's just that it raises up from time to time when users tell
>> on what old systems they compile Geany.
>>
>> Since we recently bumped the GTK requirements to 2.12 for the
>> upcoming release, do we need to discuss this already again?
>> Yeah, newer versions are cooler but is it necessary or just cooler?
>>

>Hey Enrico,
>
>Couple of comments.
>
>You are right, there doesn't need to be a defined policy apart from
>not gratuitously dropping support for old versions.
>
>But we also need to be able to support Geany on new systems. I will
>use two issues as examples:
>
>1. Being able to support new GTK versions, eg gtk3, how many #ifs are
>going to be needed to support both (as well as Glade version support)
>
>2. And tools.  Glade 2 is no longer available for new machines and
>already needs a patch to compile, and last week I couldn't compile it
>even with the patch on a very new machine.  As Matthew has found when
>he looked at moving Geany to more recent Glade versions, the GTK2
>version is going to have to jump further to allow this change.
>
>What I am trying to illustrate is that it is not just how old but also
>how new a system we support, and the effort needed to do that.

Yep, I mostly completely agree with this and just said so as well in
the thread in reply to Matthew. It's just that there should be some
reasoning in bumping and GTK3 definetely is one, IMO.