[Geany-devel] New Feature(plugin OR geany self)

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Sat Oct 1 20:40:34 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 03:07, Lex Trotman <elextr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 September 2011 06:52, Jiří Techet <techet at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 10:03, Thomas Martitz
>> <thomas.martitz at student.htw-berlin.de> wrote:

>>> This is already implemented, though not visualized in the side bar.
>>>
>>> I don't remember if I use the default keybinding, but for me CTRL+TAB walks
>>> the MRU list of opened documents.
>>>

>> Absolutely essential feature for me.
>>
>> By the way, there's a bug in the MRU code.
>>
>> 1. Open Geany with say 3 files,
>> 2. ctrl-tab until you reach the very same file you have currently displayed,
>> 3. release ctrl,
>> 4. ctrl-tab again. Nothing happens until you ctrl-tab one more time.
>>
>> I have a patch for it in my yet-to-be-reviewed patch queue (for more
>> than a year). I also have a patch for the popup window so it shows the
>> current file in bold and the following three files in MRU below it. It
>> helps with "predicting" which file opens after ctrl-tab next.
>

> Hi Jiri,
>
> I like this idea, I mostly gave up using ctrl-tab because I kept
> overshooting the one I wanted, giving me a little warning time is a
> great idea.

Yes, this is exactly why I made the change. Before I discovered Geany,
I used CodeBlocks which had a plugin with similar functionality (the
plugin was extremely buggy and the code was completely crazy). You
could even return to the file before ctrl+tab press if you overshot
(the keybindings were alt+left_arrow [going back in the stack history
like Geany does] and alt+right_arrow to go forward from the current
position and "undo" your previous ctrl+tab). This could be also used
to have a quick peek at the file you edited previously -
alt+left_arrow, have a look at the file while holding alt,
right_arrow, release alt and you're back in your current file with
unmodified MRU list.

I could enhance my patch to allow this too if someone finds it useful.

Cheers,

Jiri