[Geany-devel] Unit tests for Geany (continued from Github)

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Wed Nov 30 09:08:10 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 7:55 PM, Nathan Broadbent <nathan.f77 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry about that! I won't change topic in the middle of a thread.
>
> I've figured out why the installation documentation didn't work for
> me: You pre-generate the 'configure' script and package this when you
> distribute a release in a tarball, but this configure script isn't
> checked into the repository.

The configure script shouldn't be checked into the repository as it
might not match the target machine.

> I checked out the source-code from github, but the documentation
> doesn't mention anything about running './autogen.sh' first. (Sorry, I
> haven't done much C programming for a while...)

Good point, that part of the docs were written when Geany was mostly a
C programmers paradise, and *every* C programmer sort of understood
autofools, now it has so many non-C users the process should be better
explained.

> Since the project has moved to Github, more people will be getting the
> source code straight from the repository. So it might be helpful to
> replace " $ ./configure "  with  " $ ./autogen.sh " in the "Autotools
> based build system" section of the manual
> (http://www.geany.org/manual/current/#installation), and also in the
> installation section of the README.

Don't suppose you would have a shance to provide a patch/pull request?