[Geany-devel] Some sort of thoughts about geany-plugins-devel-git-repo

Frank Lanitz frank at xxxxx
Sun Nov 27 07:21:48 UTC 2011

Am 16.11.2011 22:50, schrieb Lex Trotman:
[..]
> I don't think your perception is wrong, but I think that keeping
> plugins reasonably separate is also a good idea.  As a user I can
> choose the parts I want without the parts I don't need.  So only
> really tiny things should be combined like addons.

We talked about this earlier on IRC and the goal of geany-plugins to
have one single plugin bucket where plugins are not splitted up. Right
now its already possible to build single plugins e.g. by using --enable
flag on waf.

> In other cases, like project management, there is sufficient variation
> in use-cases that there may be more than one plugin, like how the
> current project plugins address two slightly differernt uses.  Or in
> some cases there is a natural progression from an old plugin to a new
> (and hopefully better) one, eg debugger plugins
>
> What it needs is a technical solution to allow plugins to build on
> other plugins.  That way the original functionality doesn't need to be
> re-built, but it introduces dependencies between plugins.

Dependencies? I agree.
I think introducing changes to core about GObject etc will make such
things easier. Currently its far away.

>> Regarding the ideas with separate repos/submodules: This basically breaks
>> what the initial idea of geany-plugins was. To share infrastructure, build
>> system and translations. The "combined release" idea came actually some time
>> after that.
>>

> I'm not sure that it prevents any of this, but as I now understand it,
> GP plugins can't be built separately so, yes, it makes less sense to
> have separate repos.

I agree ;)

Cheers,
Frank