[Geany-devel] coffeescript lexer

Lex Trotman elextr at xxxxx
Thu Nov 10 23:23:12 UTC 2011

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 10:06 AM,  <joshua.rh at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hello,
>      I've added a feature request to add a coffeescript lexer to scintilla
> here: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3436256&group_id=2439&atid=352439 and
> will hopefully start on it when the semester's over (December).  Also, does
> anyone know:
>
> 1) If the lexer needs to be written in c++ (will the lua one Matthew found
> work?)
> 2) if it's a bad idea to test this in geany? (I intentionally added the
> request to scintilla, and can work on it in scite if that's a better idea)
> 3) if this will cover everything needed for coffeescript in geany once it's
> done (we'll still need a filetypes.coffee, right? which is just a .conf file
> that contains the keywords, comment markers, and a few other small things,
> correct?)
>
> Thanks for any info, and I hope to work on this soon!

Hi Josh,

taking your points in turn.

-1) re the post on Scintilla.  Scintilla and Scite already support the
scintillua parser you referenced, nothing to do there, move along
please :)

0) but Geany does not support scintillua or any other external lexer.
I had a quick look once but decided it was "too hard" (tm)

1) no, see -1)

2) the thing that needs adding to Geany is external lexer support,
there is nothing to do in scintilla/scite since they already have it.

3) some mappings are needed inside Geany, see Matthew's recent patch
for objective C as an example.