[Geany-devel] Short function factoring

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Nov 10 17:03:40 UTC 2011

On 09/11/2011 02:35, Matthew Brush wrote:
> On 11/08/2011 01:21 PM, Lex Trotman wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 3:40 AM, Nick Treleaven
>> <nick.treleaven at btinternet.com> wrote:
>>> Breaking up logical tasks into functions is crucial to writing
>>> maintainable
>>> code, functions *are not just about code reuse*.
>>

> But there's lots of places in Geany's code where logical tasks are
> actually further broken into many little sub-tasks (see below for an
> example), so small and trivial that the code would be a lot easier to
> follow if it was just in one place and achieved it's primary task.

I didn't mean to imply Geany's code is perfect, or that I usually write
perfect code. I just wanted to draw attention to what I think the ideal
is. Obviously I didn't explain it very well.

>> I guess we won't ever all agree on this, so we all have to be tolerant.
>>

> Sadly, probably not :(

Actually, I support the removal of functions which make code harder to
follow, that is my only goal in discussing code style anyway.

E.g. I said I agreed about the removal of
editor_lexer_get_type_keyword_idx().