[Geany-devel] Short function factoring

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Nov 8 16:40:12 UTC 2011

On 04/11/2011 00:21, Lex Trotman wrote:
> Geany has many places where a short function then calls
> another short function which calls another short function, none of
> which are re-used.  Personally I find this way of writing code less
> efficient and very hard to follow and understand as a whole, but
> others find it easier to think only in terms of each little piece.
> YMMV

Here may be somewhere where we disagree fundamentally, because:

* long functions cause bugs
* too many variables in one place cause bugs

I'm sure there are statisics to back this up, it's well known in code
analysis/reliability circles.

Breaking up logical tasks into functions is crucial to writing
maintainable code, functions *are not just about code reuse*.