[Geany-devel] Proposal: Project settings split - adding geany features

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Tue Nov 8 16:38:00 UTC 2011

On 04/11/2011 00:21, Lex Trotman wrote:
> Just one note that the point of raising it in the ML before doing it
> was to see if anyone had better ideas for a solution.  Geany needs
> more of that, as exhausting as it may be, rather than taking the first
> suggestion or patch or pre-implemented pull request.  So thanks to
> Nick and all who contributed.

Agree if people are likely to disagree on it, if the feature changes
much code or causes implications for future additions etc. (Obviously we
don't want to discuss everything as it would cause too much delay).

>> >  My points are not just dev issues - users may want to backup their project
>> >  file, which would be harder.
> I don't understand how it would be harder, but anyway thats a specific.

You would have to backup 2 files instead of 1 - not hard, *if* you
understand this, but still more bother.

>> >  Users need to read the manual, which would take
>> >  longer to understand.
> Again this is a specific, but I don't understand how having session
> info in a session file and project info in a project file is harder to
> understand, or that most users would even need to care.

I didn't say harder, I said it would take longer. Anyway sometimes they
do need to know (e.g. backup).

>> >  Users might have to use buggier software, as more
>> >  complex code is always more bug prone. Development issues become user issues
>> >  indirectly.
On 04/11/2011 00:21, Lex Trotman wrote:
> Complicated isn't an absolute, it very much depends on experience,
> something you think is blindingly obvious I may find horrendously
> complex because I've never thought of that paradigm before.  I agree
> that if the implementer considers it simple it is more likely to be
> right, but that doesn't guarantee that all maintainers will easily get
> their heads around it.

Complicated means more code changed than necessary (for sake of argument).