[Geany-devel] Request: multithreaded tag generation?

Thomas Martitz thomas.martitz at xxxxx
Mon Nov 7 16:11:09 UTC 2011

Am 07.11.2011 17:06, schrieb Colomban Wendling:
> Hi,
>
> Le 07/11/2011 16:35, Harold Aling a écrit :
>> Dear Geany Devs,
>>
>> I recently switched from GeanyPRJ to Gproject. Since Gproject doesn't
>> support multiple open projects I have to switch between projects, but
>> it takes up to 4 minutes to close one project and open another. A
>> project consists of roughly 1000-2000 php-related files.
>>
>> The "Generate tags for all project files" causes this massive delay,
>> but I really need that feature.
>>
>> At work I have a 2-core CPU, where 1 is completely idle and on my
>> desktop at home there are 5 cores are doing nothing while generating
>> tags. Can't they be utilized to speed up the tag generation?
> TL;DR: it's really not that easy.

Might or might not be related. It's rather annoying how long geany takes
to load files. Fine for single files, but a session of (say) 50 ones
takes a while And the situation on my end hasn't improved by buying an
SSD, so I don't think it's I/O related, so suspect tagmanager.

Best regards.

Best regards