[Geany-devel] [RFC] Document Messages

Colomban Wendling lists.ban at xxxxx
Mon Nov 7 15:34:56 UTC 2011

Le 07/11/2011 02:12, Matthew Brush a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I started working on something I'm calling "document messages" for lack
> of a better name.  Put another way, GtkInfoBar :)
>
> The changes add a new document function called `document_show_message()`
> which will either show a GtkInfoBar on top of the Scintilla widget with
> the message or just show a modal dialog depending if the GTK+ version
> supports GtkInfoBar (2.18).
>
> I've only ported `monitor_reload_file()` and
> `monitor_resave_missing_file()` to use the new function for now, because
> I needed something to test with.
>
> The commits are here:
> https://github.com/codebrainz/geany/commits/document-messages
>
> And a screenshot is here:
> https://github.com/codebrainz/misc/raw/master/screenshots/geany-document-message.png
>

> Feedback is welcome.

I haven't checked the code much, nor tested it, though:

First, I of course like the in-tab messaging idea :) I planned to do
this sometime, but never did basically because we haven't GtkInfoBar.

However, I'm not sure fallback to modal dialog is that good… let me
explain: a GtkInfoBar is a kind of non-intrusive messaging to the user,
where modal dialogs (or dialogs in general) is intrusive.  This means
one could easily "ignore" the info bar but not the dialog.

Also, I've seen you removed the "close" button from
`monitor_resave_missing_file()`.  With an info bar, it makes sense, no
need for 2 buttons doing exactly the same [1].  But what what a dialog
is used?

So basically I very much like the infor bar thing, but not necessarily
the degradation to a dialog.

Cheers,
Colomban

[1] although I guess closing the tab would lead to a second notification
about closing an unsaved file… annoying.