[Geany-devel] [RFC] Document Messages

Matthew Brush mbrush at xxxxx
Mon Nov 7 09:00:49 UTC 2011

On 11/07/2011 12:51 AM, Alexander Petukhov wrote:
> On 11/7/11 5:12 AM, Matthew Brush wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I started working on something I'm calling "document messages" for
>> lack of a better name. Put another way, GtkInfoBar :)
>>
>> The changes add a new document function called
>> `document_show_message()` which will either show a GtkInfoBar on top
>> of the Scintilla widget with the message or just show a modal dialog
>> depending if the GTK+ version supports GtkInfoBar (2.18).
>>
>> I've only ported `monitor_reload_file()` and
>> `monitor_resave_missing_file()` to use the new function for now,
>> because I needed something to test with.
>>
>> The commits are here:
>> https://github.com/codebrainz/geany/commits/document-messages
>>
>> And a screenshot is here:
>> https://github.com/codebrainz/misc/raw/master/screenshots/geany-document-message.png
>>

>> Feedback is welcome.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Matthew Brush
> looks good, isn't it possible to change find in current file UI in the
> same manner, as in firefox, would be pretty usable imho.

I actually have a plugin I've been working on that does exactly that.
It's a really simplified search bar that pops-up under the editor window
and it's basically a clone of Firefox's find bar.  The only difference
is that it has an "Advanced" button that opens the normal find dialog
which has way more options.

I can't see something like this ever replacing the normal find dialog
since the find dialog is so much more powerful, but it could possibly
replace the find thing in the toolbar.

At some point in the near future I'll push the plugin's code to a Github
repository.