[Geany-devel] Proposal: Project settings split - adding geany features

Dimitar Zhekov dimitar.zhekov at xxxxx
Sat Nov 5 19:43:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 20:03:02 -0700
Matthew Brush <mbrush at codebrainz.ca> wrote:

> At a high level, the most sensible thing to do IMO, is to split out
> state/session information into a separate file
> (~/.config/geany/.geanysession) for Geany itself, and then mirror this
> in the project directory (~/project-under-vcs/foobar.geany and
> ~/project-under-vcs/.geanysession).

Why not ~/.config/geany/geany.session and /.../project.geanysession? I
woudn't like geany to place a hidden file in the project directory,
with no way to move it in the project file directory.

> Now take everything I just wrote and apply it to two other files;
> ~/my-project/projectfile.geany and ~/my-project/.geanysession.  When a
> project opens, the project file and project session file "overlay" on
> top of the global/default settings/keys from ~/.config/geany/geany.conf
> and ~/.config/geany/.geanysession.  Changes to the sidebar position for
> example would get written to ~/my-project/.geanysession and a change of
> indent type would go into ~/my-project/projectfile.geany.

Would be nice, unless Edit -> Preferences decides to save the full set
of options (even unchanged ones) in projectfile.geany. If I decide to
change, say, the symbol list font, and have to do that for every
project... well, the current configuration seems pretty reasonable.

But compating the two option sets, and (ideally) indicating the default
(unchanged) settings with gray, as in the build dialog, goes beyound
"not exactly trivial".

--
E-gards: Jimmy