[Geany-devel] Make document_save_file() show the Save As dialog when necessary - autosave

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Thu Nov 3 14:17:33 UTC 2011

On 02/11/2011 23:22, Lex Trotman wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>
> Good idea, I have one question below.
>
> [...]
>> It's possible plugins may need updating, but after a quick grep it seems
>> perhaps only the core Save Actions plugin. For auto-saving it may want to
>> ignore documents without an absolute path to avoid showing the Save As
>> dialog. I'll make this change next.
>
> Does this skip any documents that the user might reasonably expect to autosave?
>
> Obviously it skips new as yet unsaved files, but IMHO thats ok, is
> there anything else?

Well, as documents that have been saved now have to have an absolute
path, I don't think it would skip saving any document that exists on
disk. Although I'd better check that opening documents enforces an
absolute path too, I think so.

The autosave check could actually be against doc->real_path, which is
only set if the file exists on disk, rather than checking for an
absolute path.

> If so we might want to indicate the fact that this file isn't being
> autosaved to warn that there is a risk of data loss. (maybe with new
> files too?)

For modified documents the user can see this already, but for generated
documents that don't set the modified flag data could be lost, but this
probably tends to be things which the user isn't concerned about. E.g.
with a geanyVC diff, you usually want to just close the document and
ignore the data.