[Geany-devel] Proposal: Project settings split

Nick Treleaven nick.treleaven at xxxxx
Wed Nov 2 14:36:21 UTC 2011

On 02/11/2011 12:10, Lex Trotman wrote:
> [...]
>> Yes, I just question whether it's worth supporting that.
>
> Well, it comes down to how groups and individuals work, you may not
> want to share projects settings, but I am part of groups who do.
>
> Everything else is shared via VCS, so its annoying that one thing isn't.

As I said, you can already share settings, you just can't easily
synchronize them *if* they change.

> Whats the problem with doing it?

It adds code complexity, plus backwards compatibility would make the
code more ugly. Having all project settings stored in the same file is
neater and easier to understand for users. It makes the manual more
complex, maybe helping a little to obscure the important stuff.

I could bring up the Eclipse argument to say that worse is better. The
more use cases Geany caters to, the more Eclipse-like it will be.