[Geany-devel] Geany Plugins SVN Commit URLs

Jiří Techet techet at xxxxx
Tue Nov 1 13:11:21 UTC 2011

>>> https://geany.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/geany/trunk@5970
>>> ea778897-0a13-0410-b9d1-a72fbfd435f5
>>>
>>> We could have something like this:
>>>
>>> git-svn-id:
>>> [ea778897-0a13-0410-b9d1-a72fbfd435f5]
>>> (http://svn.geany.org/svnroot/geany/trunk?rev=5970)
>>>
>>> That way we could make the links work and be able to move the old SVN
>>> repository without breaking all the links in the commit message. I
>>> guess we'd need a little redirect script or something on geany.org.
>>> Note also the use of Markdown link syntax, which might render better
>>> on Github (not sure).
>>
>> I'm afraid I don't get what is needed here? Did I got you right to
>> setup complete mirror of ancient svn on geany.org?
>>

> Or easier, just make some URL forwarders/rewrites on geany.org so we don't
> have to depend on SourceForge.net to always store the SVN repo and never
> change URLs.  The SVN URLs in the Git commit messages will never be able to
> change ever in the future, so if we point it to a location we control, then
> we can ensure they remain valid.
>
> From Jiri's other message though, it sounds like the SVN URLs in the Git
> commit messages are all going to be broken like the one's in Geany's Git
> repository, since it's not an option of the conversion script to change
> them.  I don't feel like hacking the conversion script to change the URL
> that goes in the commit message, and anyway, as long as it contains the SVN
> revision, it's still useful.

Another option would be to use

git filter-branch --msg-filter command

where command would be some sed expression which would substitute the
current format with the required format. Maybe a bit easier, still
something I don't want to spend my time on ;-). The only reason I
included the SVN metadata was the commit ID which is useful to have
because some commits refer to it in their comments and this
information would be lost otherwise.

Cheers,
Jiri